Cool your boots

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2014 but it's good stuff - United Kingdom - Bristol

Today, the guy I live with demanded that I get a job or start paying rent. It'd be perfectly reasonable, if he wasn't my husband, and if I hadn't just given birth to our first child. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 695
You deserved it 6 024

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I bet he won't be saying that if he went through labor.

Tell him that you have a job. Caring for a newborn. Also let him know that since it's his child he needs to pay back rent for the nine months your baby spent living inside you.

Comments

That's very inconsiderate, you're already clearly occupied with a child.

Hmm, everyone seems to have gone with one side, so someone has to be contradictory. Bringing a child into the world is stressful for both parties. I would imagine your husband feels overworked. He probably should've chosen a better way to express that though.

It is very stressful on both parties, and very likely he's feeling overworked. That said however it doesn't give him grounds to be a total prick, when you're feeling over worked you don't tell a new mom to get a job and totally disregard her feelings. He should deal with his problems like an adult and help find a solution that works for both parties.

I would agree with him if you didn't just give birth to your first kid though :/

rocker_chick23 27

Why would she pay rent? They live together as husband and wife. I feel sorry for whatever girl agrees to marry you.

To have one person pay all the rent in any situation is ****** up.

Obviously I wouldn't do that and I doubt op's husband means it either, I just don't want my future wife to be a house wife it puts too much stress and pressure on me knowing that I'm a sole provider. But that's just me

rocker_chick23 27

Here's an idea. Get castrated and you won't have to worry about having kids or having a future housewife

Are you that hateful and stupid? I just want to make sure I can provide as much for my future family as I can as my parents did for me and it will be very hard to do that if only one person has a job. Do me a favour and grow some more brain cells

rocker_chick23 27

I am not the moron telling the OP to pay rent or get a job after having a child.

It's a joke you idiot he's not serious -.-

rocker_chick23 27

How do you know he is kidding ? My friends ex said something similar after she had her son. When she refused, he divorced her.

Generally speaking; unless husband and wife rarely see one another; child care costs would eat up any income that would be made by working outside of the home

rocker_chick23 27

Average cost for daycare is $150 a week, around $600 a month. My husband and I could never afford it, so I decided to become a stay at home mom/

You idiots were probably never hugged by your parents when you were little dont worry it's not the end of the world please complain more

skyeyez9 24

Why? Men have been sole providers for thousands of years while women tended the home and family. That is a man's role. My husband makes a very nice 6 figure salary and I don't have to work, but I do because I want to. He isn't forcing me to "get a job and pay rent."

rocker_chick23 27

87: Aww, my parents loved me. They were strict, but fair.

FML64128 7

I honestly don't know why this comment was thumbed down so much. He was basically just agreeing with OP. They both said that it would be reasonable if she hadn't just given birth.

rocker_chick23 27

It would be reasonable if they weren't married and wee roommates

Maybe if the economy was as stable as it was all those decades ago post the Great Depression being a sole provider wouldn't be such a hard thing to do. Maybe if you Internet geeks got a taste of the real world you would know what I'm talking about...

rocker_chick23 27

I have a taste if the real world, little boy. I am a college graduate, married for 6 years, and have a 6 year old son. Come back to us when you get your GED.

rocker_chick23 27

Wow, what an inconsiderate asshole. I hope you told him he is sleeping on the couch for a few days.

Wow how ridiculous, he's really inconsiderate. He needs to go through childbirth.

...Are you going to do this on every FML?

Charge him for intercourse. Charge him extra for the destruction of property(birth) and housing a tenant not on the lease.(OP's pregnancy)

Giving new meaning to the phrase "lease on life".

he's cheating on you. He is just looking for excuses.

#25 where on earth are you getting that OP'S husband is cheating?

That's a weird conclusion to jump to...what on earth would make you think that he's cheating on her!?

You have the most important job in the world and that is taking care of the new baby and being a mom. Tell him to go f*ck off

Wow that is inconsiderate, but some families are poor and the woman still has to work through pregnancy and recent labor (pretty sad I know). In this case, since you posted this on FML, I am guessing that your husband makes a decent amount of money.

rocker_chick23 27

The sad thing is many countries have paid maternity leave, even in the Middle East.

That is sad.. I don't know how it works exactly in the U.S, I am from Latvia. Here, the woman gets 1 year paid for during pregnancy, and the husband works.

rocker_chick23 27

Here in the US, you can still get fired for being pregnant and only get unpaid maternity leave for only a few weeks.

Yeah the world could be better about pregnant ladies. I don'' know what it's like to be pregnant but I imagine it is not the greatest. My mom told me she had many sleepless nights during pregnancy, and the first year. i just hate the guys who walk out on their pregnant wives, if you wanna have sex, you need to watch out and know that pregnancy is a possibility.

rocker_chick23 27

My son just turned 6. When I was pregnant with him, his favorite thing to do was to kick me at night when I was trying to relax. I had a horrible time with giving birth to him and it took me around 4 months before I could even begin to think about getting a job.

Actually, most companies will give you paid maternity leave. Where I worked when my daughter was born, the mother could take twelve weeks paid maternity leave, and the father could take six weeks paid paternity leave. I could have taken the full twelve weeks, but only would have been paid for the six weeks.

rocker_chick23 27

I worked for Petsmart while pregnant with my son, they never gave me paid maternity leave. Many places don't.

One issue with mat leave is that she needs to have been working the job before she got pregnant or gave birth, so this doesn't help now. No one will hire her and immediately give mat leave. Some places give paternity leave if the wife hasn't taken mat leave.

The U.S. is utterly shitty about that--a lot of lip service given to how precious children are but not a lot of consideration given to the people who have to try to raise them. Sure there's FMLA, but that's unpaid leave, and not a lot of people can afford to go months without being paid. But OP lives in the UK, which hopefully has better maternity leave policies.

Yeah, the U.S. seems to be veering away from any sort of paid leave that involves not getting work out of the recipient (not to mention the disbandment of unions and employee-interest organizations). It's point-blank capitalism at work; in the general U.S., "If you don't work, you don't get paid." It's difficult enough for disabled and recently-unemployed citizens to get any sort of financial aid; pregnant women and new parents are on the low-priority side of that list.