By me - 14/01/2012 01:38 - United States

Today, I met my son for the first time since I had to put him up for adoption over two decades ago. I wanted to make amends and get to know him. Instead, all I got to know was how well he can throw a punch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 208
You deserved it 57 067

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're right, he should've left him in a dumpster.

Comments

I feel your pain. I messed up and I'm going to have to give up my little girl the day after she's born next month

Snafuusmc 12

Understandable maybe you couldn't hold your son because financial issues or something related. But you should've at least met with him from time to time.

musicluvr2000 11

What did you expect? A big hug? Your fault!!!

What did u expect a hug ? Ur son is angry give him time to deal

I'm adopted myself, and honestly growing up knowing that you were given away.. Not the greatest feeling tbh

Sometimes its the best thing that person can do in the situation they're in. I mean, be honest... would you rather grow up with a parent who is addicted to something, in an extremely poor way without the means (or possibly the desire) to take care of you, or grow up in a better situation with people who care about you who aren't biologically related? Kids who were put up for adoption can look at the situation two ways: "I was given up" or "I was hand picked by someone who wanted me". It's all in the perspective.

.. I got put up for adoption because my father didn't want to pay child support. Some people are just assholes.

USMC_Cpl 5

seafoam11, did you have to live your life knowing your parent(s) didn't give a flying **** about you or if you were OK or not?

#210 Giving your child up for adoption doesn't mean you don't give "a flying ****" about them. There could be other reasons aside from your ignorant assumption. You obviously have never had to, so don't talk about what you don't know.

USMC_Cpl 5

What I don't know? When I was three my parents literally left me in front of ******* gas station with a note that said they "did not care to have a child". I know what it's like.

#281 I apologize that you went through that, but you can't paint every parent who has put a child up for adoption with the same proverbial brush. The majority who have made that decision had good intentions for their child, not because they didn't care.

Violence is never the way to solve things, but maybe he was mad that you took two decades to tell him. But I don't know your reasons so I can't judge.

"What did you expect? A hug?" Probably not, darlings, but no one should ever expect being decked in the (assumed) face either, especially since it sounds like the OP HAD to put their child up for adoption for any number of reasons, so that they could be raised in a better environment.

"Make amends" for loving someone enough to let them go when you knew you couldn't give them a better life?!

It's gonna take time. Got 20 years of pain and hurt to overcome. Won't happen on visit 1