Not a laughing matter

By Anonymous - 26/02/2014 09:31 - United States - Las Vegas

Today, on Facebook, someone wrote a status implying that she was going to kill herself. I called a mutual friend, asking to check up on her. The next status the girl puts up said, "Someone thought I was going to commit suicide! Haha what a loser!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 230
You deserved it 4 956

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Authoress14 15

So you're still friends with her why?

Comments

you did the right thing OP, i had someone say that she was better off if she disappeared and i contacted a mutual friend to make sure that everything was okay too. the fact that the person made a joke about this shows that they are just wanting attention

That's not even slightly funny, I'm been talking to a girl that has depression and I stopped her at least twice from doing that. It takes a toll just not on her but the person trying to help. I'm sorry, all you can do it really be there and try to make her last days happy. Maybe one day she will get a since of her actions and realize that's nothing to joke about..

Good job on looking out for her and helping her :)

Thank you, she has gotten better but recently she has slowly faded out of contact with me and she won't tell me what's up. But she is still here!

Most people who want to really kill themselves won't tell anybody but the one person they trust the most.. :/

That isn't necessarily true. People who are planning to commit suicide have been known to announce it through jokes, comments, or even statuses on social media. Therefore you must take every threat of suicide seriously because for every attention ***** like OP's friend, there's a genuinely suicidal person who's crying out for help.

Celfyndel 16

And then there are those that tell no one at all. They just do it.

Eh don't worry about her. You're a good person for making sure she was okay. I just can't believe someone would use self harm as a joke. :/

you did the right thing...that stuff needs to be taken seriously, suicides no joke.

You're a great person, OP! The person who wrote that facebook status should be ashamed, suicide is not a joke and this kind of behavior makes people even more reluctant to help those who are truly desperate.

squarecircles 13

Any person with half a brain should know that when someone says stuff like "I'm going to kill myself", it should not be taken lightly. The friend sounds like a space case to me.

If anything you deserve a high five! There is nothing funny about suicide and you did the right thing... Please do not let someone like this discourage you from helping another if a similar situation comes up.

Honestly, if somebody did that for me, I would be incredibly touched. You're a good person OP.